Bernard B. and Eugenia A. Ramsey Chair of Private Enterprise
Education and Career
- PhD, Economics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1986
- BS, Finance, Louisiana State University, 1980
Prior professional positions:
- LSU, Economics, Assistant Professor, 1986 to 1990
Awards, Honors and Recognitions:
- Kamerschen-Hampton Outstanding Research Award, Terry College Department of Economics, 2010
- Kamerschen-Hampton Outstanding Research Award, Terry College Department of Economics, 2000
- Swift Undergraduate Teaching Award, Terry College Department of Economics, 1995
Research, Expertise and Publications
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise:
- Monetary Economics
- Time Series Econometrics
- Julio Garin, William D. Lastrapes and Robert Lester. 2021. On the Welfare Effects of Phasing Out Paper Currency.'' European Economic Review, August 2021.
- Chadi S. Abdallah and William D. Lastrapes. 2012. Home Equity Lending and Retail Spending: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Texas. American Economic Journal -- Macroeconomics, 4(4).
- William D. Lastrapes. December 2006. Inflation and the Distribution of Relative Prices: The Role of Productivity and Money Supply Shocks. Journal Of Money, Credit And Banking, (38):2159-98.
- William D. Lastrapes and W. Douglas McMillin. Oct. 2004. Cross-Country Variation in the Liquidity Effect: The Role of Finanical Markets. The Economic Journal, (114):890-915.
- William D. Lastrapes. Nov. 1998. The Dynamic Effects of Money: Combining Short-run and Long-run Identifying Restrictions Using Bayesian Techniques. Review Of Economics And Statistics, (80):588-00.
- William D. Lastrapes and George Selgin. December 1997. The Check Tax: Fiscal Folly and the Great Monetary Contraction. Journal Of Economic History, (57):859-78.
- Christopher G. Lamoureux and William D. Lastrapes. 1993.Forecasting Stock Return Variance: Toward an Understanding of Stochastic Implied Volatilities. Review Of Financial Studies, (6):293-326.
- William D. Lastrapes. 1992. Sources of Fluctuations in Real and Nominal Exchange Rates. Review Of Economics And Statistics, (74):530-39.
- Christopher G. Lamoureux and William D. Lastrapes. April 1990.Persistence-in-Variance, Structural Change and the GARCH Model. Journal Of Business And Economic Statistics, (8):225-34.
- Christopher G. Lamoureux and William D. Lastrapes. March 1990.Heteroskedasticity in Stock Return Data: Volume Versus GARCH Effects. Journal Of Finance, (45):221-29.
- William D. Lastrapes. February 1989. Exchange Rate Volatility and U.S. Monetary Policy: An ARCH Application. Journal Of Money, Credit And Banking, (21):66-77.
- Editor, Journal of Macroeconomics, 2014 - present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Economics and Business, 2000 - present